Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Terminus



Rise Park is the end of the line for Nottingham buses no. 15, 16, 88, 89 and 71a. I get the bus to rehearsal every other Wednesday night and make notes on what I see. This is an opportunity to capture a snapshot. Paint a picture in words. Document my journey from here to there, now to then. Always feels a bit like travelling backwards.

A 12 year old
With a beard
Kicks a football
At me
An England flag
Twice as high
As the house
Where it waves
A woman in a
Black tracksuit
Mowing matching
Stripes in her lawn
A children's day nursery
That used to be a
burnt out pub
At the bottom of the street
Where I was mugged
Punched in the mouth
For a pound coin
A road sign
A Tesco that's about
To get knocked down
With half a car park
Where I learnt to drive
Subways I used to survey
When I was at school
With a boy from Top Valley
Who I taught how to spell
Who now writes for
The Evening Post
The schools I used to go to
Children sitting on the kerb
Next to a skip full of
Formica furniture
A mother in reflective
Sunglasses staring
At the sun
A toddler
Sucking a dummy
Wandering into a subway
On her own
A white van
Parked in the bus lane
A man sitting at the bus stop
Wanting to get on
Before I get off
Chip shop blondes
Sea King Fish Bar
Spend it
Cabelodouro Salon
Where my friend David's
Mum made him go even though
It's where girls and mums go
The Post Office
The Newsagent
Where my brother got
Threatened with a cricket bat
By Balwinder
Barbed Wire
Kwik Save where I was when
I arranged my first date
The slope we used to sled down
Peppered with pet poo
A can of tango
A dartboard in a
Plastic basket
A tooth paste tube
Trodden on
A pot of Ben and Jerry's
Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Thawing on
A pool of mushroom soup
Pouring on
The pavement
Flowers blossom
By walls bruised
By footballs
A name written
On the step
CCTV camera
In a cage
Outside the church
Broken concrete bollards
Broken illuminated cross
A door handle
You're making a donation
Christian Aid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home